Bittersweet Decisions

It's been a few weeks since I've published anything on this blog.  The silence had to do with being extremely busy right now.  Both Patrick and John have hockey tryouts this week, and I have been preparing to teach in our homeschool co-op.  This year, I'm teaching Algebra 1 & 2 and Chemistry.  Beyond that, I'm also teaching group cycle classes 3 times a week.  I think it's all getting to me, though, as I feel like my adrenals are headed in the wrong direction again.  Certainly my anemia is back full-force.  I feel pretty fatigued, but this blog isn't really about me.

Hockey tryouts for John were kind of a test to see how his body would take the extra burden of strenuous physical activity on top of treatments.  Well, today, I report that we have surrendered.  John made it successfully through 2 back to back hockey tryouts, but today, he just couldn't make it.  He cannot do hockey today.

We had a heart to heart about it.  His choices were 1) keep pushing and hoping for the best and play travel hockey, which is demanding and requires 5+ hours ice time and travel to games, which can be up to 3 hours round trip twice a week... or 2) play in-house hockey locally, with 2 hours of ice time a week with minimal travel.

My son has played travel hockey every year for 6 years.  There has never been a moment he hasn't wanted to push himself.  Hockey is his escape.  It's his freedom.  His endorphins go, and he's just an athlete, a kid playing the game he loves.  The decision didn't come lightly.  He decided tonight that the most logical choice, as hard as the choice is, is to opt for #2.  He simply needs to give his body the latitude to heal.  I respect his decision, and I'm very proud of him for prioritizing his health.  But the tears still flow from my eyes.  My heart hurts for him.  I'm crushed for him.  I try to hide the tears, because I really do think this is the best decision, and I should rejoice in that.  But what happens if he still cannot heal?

This disease is one of plans.  Plan A, Plan B.. but now that I'm well beyond Plan C, I don't know what plan to for.  We have tried several doctors, several hundreds of supplements, several clinics, several diets.  Sigh.  That is all I have left right now.  Sighs and tears.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biopterin Pathway

Ferritin Issues, Dirty Genes and Fermented Wheat Germ Extract

Letting go, dumbest thing ever, and more