Ferritin Issues, Dirty Genes and Fermented Wheat Germ Extract

I think last time I blogged, we were going to push detox using Desbio Metal Detox and Mineral Rebalancing system.  We had 3 great days, and boom.  Crash.  John wasn't feeling all that great again, and reported pressure behind his eyeballs, dizziness, and weakness.  Eyeball pressure and migraines behind the eyeballs translates to one and only thing for me:  IRON, particularly the storage iron form of ferritin.

My father had low ferritin the month before he passed away.  I have had low ferritin for at least 8 years.  My oldest son, Patrick, has had low ferritin at least for 3 years.  John has had low ferritin for at least 5 years.  It's a thing with us.  The only thing that has made my levels move in any significant fashion has been consuming betaine, acid pills that help the breakdown of foods in the stomach.  Problem is, I have to remember to take it with each meal, and when everyone else is sick and I'm juggling their numerous supplements, I forget to take my own.

I mentioned on a forum about these seemingly genetic iron issues.  One of the most respected admins on a Lyme forum suggested these issues can be caused instead by a pathogen.  Apparently if pathogens thrive on iron, the liver cues hepcidin (a protein that regulates iron) to lower the supply of available iron to starve the pathogens.  However, lowering the iron for the pathogens also lowers the available iron left for creating red blood cells.

Notice above, I said "seemingly genetic iron issues."  But my dad had low ferritin, I have it, both my kids do.  If I remember correctly,  my cousin and her son do as well.  It has to be genetic, right?  WRONG.  This is where epigenetics comes into play.

Right now, the "Dirty Genes Summit" is taking place.  This summit is the brainchild of Dr. Ben Lynch, naturopath and mastermind behind the book Dirty Genes, currently Amazon's #1 New Release  in Immune Systems, and it hasn't even been released yet.  Most fortunately, I answered the call to be on the book launch team.  I have been blessed with an advanced Kindle copy and other goodies from Dr. Lynch and his team.  I have only read the first chapter of the book, and it comes from the optimistic viewpoint that our genes aren't our destiny.  We can influence our genetics, turning off the bad genes and minimizing their influences on our lives.  As for the summit, I have listened to the first hour lecture on histamine and mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) from Yasmin Ykelenstam.  I highly recommend if you're looking for answers, #dirtygenes is where you need to start looking.

Last thought for today is a supplement called Fermented Wheat Germ Extract (FWGE).  I had been reading in Stephen Buhner's books about the healing power of FWGE.  FWGE has been studied and found beneficial for cancer patients (including melanoma), and also potentially helpful to people suffering with mycoplasma infections.  Mr. Buhner recalls a study done on chickens that were deliberately exposed to mycoplasma infections.  Thirty infected birds were given FWGE, 30 tiamulin (an antibiotic for mycoplasma infections in animals), and 30 were left untreated.  I quote Mr. Buhner "Statistics are these:  lesions (found upon dissection at the end of the study),  in the FWGE were 15, in the antibiotic group 11, in the untreated group 25.  In the FWGE group, at death, no mycoplasma bacteria were isolated from the liver, spleen, brain, heart, or kidneys while mycoplasma organisms were recovered from the respiratory tract samples 10 times(in the antibiotic group 3 times).  In the untreated group, mycoplasma was isolated 64 times from respiratory tract samples taken over the course of the study, and, at dissection was found in the brain, kidneys heart and spleen.  The spleen was particularly hit by the untreated birds..... The birds treated with FWGE did not develop clinical signs of infection, catarrhal pneumonia and pleurisy did not occur, and only a mild lymphohistiocytic bronchitis developed in few of the birds."

I did a little more research on FWGE.  It is supposed to be great for increasing the appetite.  Both my kids could use 15-30 lbs. Another benefit that has been noted is increased energy and immune system modulation.  Winning!  FWGE is pretty expensive ($150 will get a full grown adult a 30 days supply) but without health, who even cares about money? AmIright?  John started last night.  Patrick this morning.  Seeing the words "increased energy" and "immune system boosting" on the box, I quickly phoned one of my absolute favorite people, my mother-in-law, to tell her of my finding.  She, too, wants to try it.  She'll have some as soon as Amazon delivers.  I don't know if I found the golden ticket, but it does come in a golden box :-D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biopterin Pathway

Letting go, dumbest thing ever, and more