Day 9: FAR Clinic And FUN!

The last two days here have been challenging for us.  The fatigue for John has been keeping him on the couch after treatments the last two days, which means I am stir crazy.  When I am home, I can keep busy, but all I have to do here is eat, sleep, workout, read, watch TV or blog.  Sure, there's a good shopping mall right here, but after the month we have had financially, spending money at the mall seems foolish.  Something had to give.

I am ecstatic to report that today was a breakthrough day.  John is sweating in hyperthermia more easily, and is less uncomfortable during the process. The smoothies are going down more quickly.  The stars are aligning.  Maybe we are getting him better?  Maybe there is less broccoli in the smoothies?  Today, we needed to get out of this lovely hotel and have some fun since he was feeling up for it.



The highlight of the day by far was spending 6 hours with Elanda (FAR Clinic trainer and resident kid-at-heart) at Boondocks, an entertainment center in Kaysville, UT.  They have laser tag, bumper boats, go karts, arcades, mini golf, bowling, a little kid play place, batting cages and food.  Anything John wanted to do, we did.  His favorite was bumper boats with water guns.  I tell you, the little 8 year old boys are merciless.  They have no qualms targeting an adult with their water cannon while hiding behind the engine.  Elanda and I were soaked to the point were we could wring out our shirts.  John was wet too, but I suspect he too was hiding behind his motor.  We did the best when we formed a unified front.





John was a little bummed that his short stature kept him from the fast go karts, but Elanda and I went with him on the "rookie track."  We had a blast anyway.  There was a ten year old weaving and trying to keep John from passing.  So, John took the inside and I took the outside.  When the kid saw me trying to make a move, I pointed at John.  Perfect distraction to overtake the weaver.  Then when he saw me making my move, he tried to move wide on the turn a bit too late.  John squeezes by on the inside and we both passed him simultaneously.  Nothing more satisfying than a well executed death defying go kart maneuver against a lightweight.  Competitive much?  John won first place, and I didn't let him win.  I just outweigh him.

Fun and laughter is really what we all needed today.  I'm so grateful to Elanda for talking us into it. John thought it'd be weird to hang out with another adult, but it totally wasn't.  She's a lot of fun, and she brings out the best in everyone.  Favorite quote from Elanda today was "you know you don't have to assume things will suck.  You can just try and see.  You never know."  That is how we ended up on the rookie go kart track dominating.  Thanks for the memories, Elanda.

Praise the Lord for days like these.  I hope this is only the beginning of the healthy and fun childhood we pray so much for John.  Thank you to those of you who have us in your prayers.  It's the best feeling ever to know you're behind us and rooting for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biopterin Pathway

Ferritin Issues, Dirty Genes and Fermented Wheat Germ Extract

Letting go, dumbest thing ever, and more